Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Bowling for Fish


Bowling for Fish,
is all the new rage.
All the cool kids do it.
So I’m standing on the shore,
getting the bowling
ball from the tackle box.


Tossing the ball
into the water,
with the hope
of catching a
big, fat, fish. 
A huge splash. 


Getting my pajamas
wet, my slippers too.
The sun is in my eyes,
twinkling with the ripples
on the surface of the
water. 


My stomach grumbling
in anticipation of the
meal to come. 
Rubbing my hands together
with glee, the enjoyment of
the hunt. 


Something isn’t right though.
The other kids seem to
have wandered off. 
I’m the only one left,
standing on the muddy
shore in my pajamas.


The fishing seems poor
today. And a new
dilemma has appeared,
how do I get the bowling ball
back? How do I reel it in?
The water is deep.


Maybe this fad wasn’t my
thing. My slippers are soaking,
my pajamas are damp.
I’ve lost a good bowling ball
and the fish don’t seem 
interested. 


I think I’ll go back to doing
my own thing.
No more of the cool kid stuff.
Leave me out of those cool fads.
I like some of the rules, a rod and
reel for instance, and pants, and waders.


Those are the right tools
for fishing at the shore,
the proper way to do it. 
The most likely way
to catch a meal and avoid hunger.

And to stay alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment