Friday, August 14, 2020

First Times



During this Pandemic
I have often found myself thinking
about the last time I got to
do something.

The last time I was at a
crowded bar.
The last time I was
able to hug a friend.
The last time I smiled
at someone, and they could see
my unmasked smile.
The last handshake.
The last kiss.
The last shared swig from
a bottle for the last Whiskey sip.  

Thinking about all those
last times got me wondering
about all my first times
for things. Those precious
first times by which all those
last times were measured.

I remember my first kiss on
Halloween when I was in 7th
grade. The first time sitting with the
adults to play some poker.
The first time I felt the edge
of the satiny smoothness of
a girlfriend’s panties as we
stumbled through a first
make-out.

The first time I danced like
no one was watching.
The first big honest laugh I got from a
crowd. The first starlit night as a child.
The first nervous look into a lover’s
eyes.

Those last times for things
pale in comparison to all
those marvelous fist times.
So, maybe, it’s all the new first times
that I am really missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment