Tuesday, September 22, 2020

So Fast the Fall

 


I can almost hear the crisp

crunching of leaves underfoot

echoing through the city streets.

As I go in search of a cozy

Autumn pub to sit and reflect on

the past Winter, Spring and Summer.

 

Fall is a great time for pub sitting,

and discussing the trials of the past

Winter, Spring and Summer, and

be hopeful the change in season will

encourage a change in the souls of

the stubborn residents of a certain City on a Hill.

 

I can almost taste the delicious

Guinness, a fall favorite beverage,

on my lips as I look out the pub windows

at the early setting sun and the mix of

confused people trapped between their

Summer and Autumn clothes.  

 

I’m looking forward to opening

my closet and pulling out my

collection of cardigan sweaters,

anticipating the chill that will

soon thicken the wind and

rattle the trees to their bones.

 

It’s not there yet, the leaves

are still green on the trees,

there’s still sunshine heating the

sidewalks and there hasn’t been

enough time for reflection.

But we’re Almost there.

 

It’s the First Day of Autumn,

yet there’s still a lot of Summer

life left in everything.

Cloudless blue skies and gentle

Summer breezes still blow my

hair in the wrong direction.

 

This seasonal change, seems

to have arrived with some

unexpected alacrity. We

knew it was coming, but it feels,

like we were somehow, cheated,

yet now it’s upon us.

 

A Summer that never got started,

a Spring that never was, as we were

all locked away inside our homes,

dreading the disease running rampant

through our dreams and in every

nook of our once normal lives.

 

The crunch of the brown, dried leaves

however, is what I’m looking forward

towards. The ultimate symbol of change,

rebirth and the potential to find more,

and newer cardigans to add to the

collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment