Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Thanksgiving 2020

 



To be Thankful,

is to acknowledge the

great gifts we have received,

embraced and have luckily

cherished over what has

got to be one of the shittiest

years in the history of modern

times.

 

2020 has been by far,

one of the largest turds

ever dropped over the side of

the toilet called life.

It’s been unending anxiety,

misery and even more anxiety,

mixed with constant uncertainty,

rife with confusion and ceaseless

belly-aching.

 

I’m even exhausted by the very idea

of writing one more piece about it.

My keyboard has been silent lately whilst

confronted with election results, a resurging

virus, and the general uneasiness of day to

day living in a petri dish of unknown terrors

stalking us to an untimely death.

 

Yes, that’s 2020.

So what should we be thankful for

as we approach a Day of National Thanks Giving?

Well, if you’re lucky, you still have your loved ones

in your life to hold onto. Perhaps you have friends

that have helped you through the hardest times, or

ones that you have helped out to the best of your

ability. I suppose that’s certainly something to

be thankful for.

 

I guess we can be thankful that at least one

national nightmare is coming to an end and a

new period can begin and get us back on track towards

a more just and fervent future. So, there’s that up on

the Thanksgiving scoreboard. It doesn’t change the

outcome of the game much, but it’s good to be on

the board.

 

Personally, I’m thankful for continued gainful employment,

for my family, for those friends that have not had enough

of me and my lumbering annoyances. I’m thankful for a

reasonably refurbished apartment

that I’m slightly less embarrassed by.

I’m thankful for the long summer nights

I got to enjoy outside; time spent with my

new nephew, and the boozy fun evenings

I got to have with socially distant friends.

 

In the end, I guess I do have things to be thankful

for, even in this year of an unmitigated shit sandwich

all you can eat shit buffet. The toppings are

free though and you can pick your own.

Any toppings you want to put on

your shit sandwich, is slightly better than not having

an option at all I suppose.

 

I’m thankful for you, dearest readers,

who either love me or hate me or

think all of this is dumb. I appreciate the

time you may take from your shitty day to read

about my shitty days in shitty little poems

I shit out.

 

Happy Thanksgiving 2020.

Die you cruel year! Die!   


No comments:

Post a Comment