Monday, August 25, 2014

Give it to me

             “Okay story, let me have it. Give me the words and phrases to make it all make sense. To put some structure and order to the world around me. Come on words…”, I said.
            “Naw. I don’t feel like it,” said Story.
            “Really? C’mon, it’s been such a long time for us to work together. Aren’t you ready to get something going again,” I asked.
            “Naw, there’s probably some really compelling televised dramas you could just watch. That should sate your story jonesing,” said Story.
            “I really don’t want to do that today. I’d much rather come up with some sort of colorful narrative, with complex characters struggling to eke out an existence against some harsh real world reality,” I said.
            “Naw, that sounds pretty boring if you ask me. Why don’t you relax and have another cigarette and just take it easy,” said Story.
            “That’s dumb. C’mon, why don’t you want to help me out,” I asked.

            Story slouched deeper in his easy chair. He pulled the lever on the chair's side and swung his legs up onto the extended footrest. He farted. He cleared his throat. He scratched at his inner thigh. He coughed.

            “Serious. You’re just going to lay there like a bum,” I asked.
            “Yeah. I am,” said Story.
            “You know, this hasn’t been easy for me either,” I said.
            “Whatever, why don’t you write about it in your diary,” sneered Story.
            “That’s not helpful. You know it’s not a diary,” I said.

            Story shifted his weight further down into the chair and groaned. I went to his side and shook his arm, but he ignored me. He closed his eyes and seemed to doze off immediately.

            “Hey,” I shouted, “don’t be a jerk!”

            Story smacked his lips and turned away from me. I stood next to his loafing and lowered my head.

            “Fine then, I’ll just do it myself,” I said.
            “Pssht, good luck with that,” said Story.

            I went back to my computer and sat down.

            “I’ll show you Story. I’ll show you good,” I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment