Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Head Scratcher



It’s a head scratcher,
a mystery to me,
a riddle,
like math or basic
automotive repair.

I don’t get it.

I’m baffled by the
affections of those
lovers around me,
their connection is like
trying to catch mist in a sieve.

How’d they do that?

I long for the investment of
someone’s heart, their thoughts
lingering on me just as my thoughts
linger on them, an unhealthy mutual obsession,
clothed in sanity.

Is there a store I can go?

It seems insane to me,
this repetitive cycle of curious
investment, inquiry and appreciation,
to be misunderstood or awkwardly
rejected after a short time.

Who drew these blueprints?

It stings. Although I’m not supposed
to let it show. I just have to be tough
and keep my hurt, disappointment and
longing under wraps, muted and pretend
I’m still optimistic; when I am not.

It’s pretty confusing.

I’m told I’ll meet the right one,
the one who’ll “get” me, who’ll
understand all the madness and
wade in excitedly with arms outstretched,
and plant a sloppy wet kiss on my lips.

Maybe not so sloppy.

I’m getting to old to sound so
much like a dopey, love sick
teenager; and maybe that’s the problem.
Maybe I’ve been so jaded by those lost loves
that I can’t even recognize it now.

Although it’s not really obvious.

No flirting, no fun, no awkward encounters,
leading to romance, no late nights spent
up till dawn exploring the things that make
each other tick, no. None of that.
I don’t get that.

I get sleepy these days.

I suppose I’ll just continue to mourn for the old
passions, those long-extinguished blazes
of hot love, bubbling with excitement and
opportunities to be something for someone,
and be someone’s something.

Still…, a real head scratcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment