Friday, September 27, 2019

The Wild Flowers



Late blooms of wildflowers
creep up toward the edges
of the highway exit ramp.
Delicate purples and yellows
on green long stems, reaching up
in tiny winks of nature colliding
with the asphalt shoulder of
the roadway.

I’m sitting in my car, waiting my turn
to turn onto the main thoroughfare,
exasperated with the traffic,
the slow-pokes and tailgaters,
the Sunday driver’s out on a Tuesday
morning. I’m irritated and out of
patience. My lips are tightly pressed
together in thin aggravation.

The flowers catch my eye as they
rustle in the car exhaust breezes,
their vibrancy enhanced by the
rising sun, the purple and yellow
florae, in the border lands between the
harshness of another work day and
the heartiness of nature.
Growing in spite of the curses around them.

The flowers delicate beauty, swaying
with steadfast resistance against the
brutal world around them. They just grow.
Never knowing or caring about the hard
and rocky ground they took root.
Never acknowledging the rush of cars
constantly zooming or idling next to them.
They just do what they do and are beautiful for it.  

I wonder how many other motorists have
noticed these small flowers blooming so wild,
how many other motorists have wondered about
the simple magnificence of these roadside jewels
unintentionally putting life into perspective.
These wildflowers, putting up with all the rough edges
of the world to bloom and teach me, us, something
about resilience. The traffic light changes. I smile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment