Monday, May 2, 2011

Justice with civility

There are a lot of emotions stirring about today. The announcement last night that the United States Special Forces have eliminated the terrorist Osama Bin Laden brought a lot of memories back.  Nearly ten years ago, the United States suffered the worst terror attack on its shores by an outside force since the Battle of 1812. In saying that I mean that was the last time an outside enemy was able to cause any real harm to American soil.

I had been in New York at the Twin Towers about three weeks prior to 9/11. I took all kinds of photos and went up to the 110th floor observation deck and looked out over New York and felt incredibly proud. So when the attacks occurred I was simply astounded. I kept saying to myself that, “I was just there”.  When the buildings fell I felt that pain, sadness and rage all New Yorkers and all other Americans felt. It was extremely personal. At that time I half expected to wind up drafted and slogging it out in some desert trench against a Middle Eastern regime bent on the total annihilation of America. I’m glad I didn’t but I certainly honor those that did hear the call and volunteered. We owe them quite a debt.

Last night came the word that the man most responsible for the attack was now dead. We had taken nearly ten years to hunt him down and eliminate him, but it was accomplished. But I do not rejoice in his death as much as I would have thought I would. I suppose if we had captured him shortly after 9/11 I would have been dancing in the street. In fact most American’s would have been in the streets hugging it out like they did after Japan finally surrendered in WWII, V - J Day.   But last night I found myself feeling a shallow sense of victory. It is good that this man who perpetuated evil around the world is now gone. I am glad he is no longer with the living, but I hope this victory is tempered with remembrance of those lost.

We should not rush out in to the streets chanting and yelling, lighting off fireworks or in some cases, firing weapons into the air in celebration. That’s what our enemies did when they saw the TV footage of the twin towers crumbling to the ground. I want to be better than that. I want to show the world that Americans are not blood thirsty despots bent on global conquest. I want to show them that our victory is tempered with humility. That it’s more important to us as Americans that we honor those that lost their lives but take no joy in the death of our enemies. I do not relish in this man’s death. I pity him and all those that participated in his narrow world view. I am, again, quite glad he’s dead and that we are able to say that we did not give up our search for him and he was unable to escape the retribution he was owed.  But I will not post pictures of his head on a pike or joke about his death certificate.  I will remember him as a murderer who got what he deserved and nothing more.

When the Russians entered Berlin and Hitler killed himself in 1945 the war at that point wasn’t officially over. There was a lot left to do and just like that history, there is still an immense amount of work to do. It must be conveyed clearly that The United States of American is interested in peace and those responsible for the disruption of that peace will have to pay the consequences, not just for us, but the world. It’s the burden of our nation and we will do what we must.  The cause of justice has been served, now we must deliver civility and be better than those that persecute us.  An evil man is dead, let us do the same to his cause and hope to better the world through compassion rather than violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment