Friday, August 31, 2018

Coming Down the Mountain



It seems I have been staring
at this blank page for days as
I rummage through my mind for
something to write about.

There’s been half started stories,
reflections on power, leadership,
love, jealousy, work, summer,
sex, booze, childhood memories.

Yet all of them, all those words,
have fallen off the smooth surface
of this cruel blank page.
Avalanche like.

A slow start, a snowflake too many,
and the whole mountain side of
prose comes rocketing down the
mountain and smothers the valley below.

St. Bernard’s are down in the word snow now,
looking for survivors, or corpses.
It’s not looking good for those valiant
canine heroes. Or the booze around their necks.

The word snow is just too deep, not in philosophy,
but in their number. A jumble of uninspired,
lazy words, crammed on top of each other in
ununified layers, saying little, with a lot.

I’ve had kissing scenes in my head,
passionate, sweet kisses between lovers,
fall apart as my own bitterness has poisoned
my fictional lovers.

They stare at me, blankly, waiting for me to
get to the good part, when their hearts swell
with absolute joy for each other, but all they get
is silence. Almost a quickie of literary writer’s block.

The child version of myself, sits quietly, waiting for
me to finish the rest of his story on the day he lost
his Superman toy car down the sewer at recess,
both I’m afraid are forever lost.

The hallways of political power are
empty, because I cannot seem to clarify
what it is I’m trying to say about political heroism,
as I seem to have become jaded.

Crashing down into a huge pile of
inconsequence, the words have buried,
the small village where ideas live,
breathe, multiply and die.

My focus seems to be on the trivial,
on my annoyances, my pains, my
inexplicable desires for what I believe is
right, my shame.

This blank page…
This damn blank page…
This god damn blank page…
This son of a whore god damn blank page…

Rummage, rummage, rummage…


No comments:

Post a Comment