Tuesday, February 25, 2020

The Emporium of New Orleans



I stumbled in from off the
crazy Mardi Gras street,
covered in glitter, beads
and reeking of copious amounts
of booze. An old bell clanged
over my head as I entered.

“Welcome to the Emporium,” said
the old man behind the large
wooden counter.
“Sorry, I just needed to catch my
breath from all the craziness on the
streets. Too much crazy,” I said.

“That’s fine young man, fine,” said the
old man, “plenty of others have done
the exact same. Feel free to browse
while you regain your composure.”
He puffed on a large pipe as he leaned
against the large weathered counter.

“Say, what do you sell in here,” I asked.
“Oh, we’ve got it all. It’s an Emporium
after all,” said the old man.
He did not look up from the faded
newspaper on the counter.
“Everything, you say,” I asked.
“Mm-hm,” said the old man.

I scanned the various shelves,
cluttered with all kinds of curious
and odd collectibles. Antique dolls,
sepia toned framed photos, jars of
yellowed liquids, taxidermy owls,
rodents and squirrels. A giant
moose head on the wall, wearing
a Mardi Gras crown.

“Sure does look like everything,” I said.
I wiped some glitter from the corner of
my cheek. “But have you got anything
for this depression I’ve been going through,”
I asked, thinking myself quite the smarty.
“Sure we do, we’ve got it all. Just step right
back into our parlor there and
your depression will melt away
like chocolate on a hot fudge
Sundae.”

I gave the man a glance, askew.
“It’s true young man, we’ve got
it all,” smiled the old man.
“A parlor to cure my depression,
I’ve have to say, I have my doubts.”
I said.

“Sure, sure,” said the old man, “it’s
not too hard at all. Just step though
that doorway there, let the noise of
Mardi Gras fade behind you and in no
time at all, your depression will have
equally faded.”

“Just through these doors,” I asked.
“Just through that doorway young man,” he said.
He pointed with his pipe.
I adjusted the beads around my neck and
stepped through the doorway, leading down
a long corridor. I could no longer
hear the sounds of revelry on the street.

I wondered if this could be true, could this
unbearable sadness that’s been weighing me
down be lifted through this simple magical
New Orleans store, this Emporium.
I came to a door and gave it a knock,
there was no answer so I gave the knob
a turn.

The door opened up, into an alley, behind
the store. There was no parlor. The noise
of the citywide party echoed off the tall brick
walls in the alley.
I put my hands on my hips and looked back
at the door I have exited through. It shut
hard behind me. 

I started to laugh. The laughter swelled
up from my stomach and I held
my belly as I chuckled.
My chuckle became a deep laugh
as I burst out in an uncontrollable fit
of riotous cackling.    

There were hysterical tears weeping
from the corners of my eyes and
for once I felt like a true fool,
and not the fool I thought I was.
This made my chuckle even harder
until I was sitting on the cobbled alley
surface. Smiling.

I was joy for a moment.
I wasn’t sad.
I was just there, laughing in an alley,
and nothing seemed wrong
about any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment