Friday, February 12, 2021

Messy Valentine's

 


The heartbeats thudding

in the chests of lovers

as they embrace, quickened

by passion and excitement,

anticipating the long kisses

that feel like melting together

in congealed commitment. 


Gross. Like, super gross. 

The metaphorical description

sounds so lovely, but if you

actually saw two people melting

together you’d probably

vomit. 


Valentine’s Day is a bane

on the hearts of the single

person. It hurts the mind,

the ego, the parts of the soul

that long for a Valentine of 

their own. 


I don’t hate Valentine’s Day.

I like it quite a lot actually.

I just strongly dislike 

celebrating it with a whiskey

on the rocks and my sofa.

Rather than someone who

is as into me as I am into them.


I’m not easy to love,

I’m a bit battered and slightly

bent around the edges, I am

a bit stodgy in my ways, occasionally

closed, sometimes quiet, sometimes

deeply annoyed by things others find

to be a mere nuisance. 


But I have love to give,

to the right Valentine,

who’s just as battered and bent

as I am, perhaps even less so. 

So that metaphorical melting

together can become something

real, without being

gross, super gross. 


To those happy lovers though,

I bear you no ill will and 

honestly love your ability

to love so completely and

fully the person that you

chose to be your Valentine. 


Happy Valentine’s Day, Lovers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment