Friday, May 13, 2022

Lucky Thirteen

 


I dropped and broke a

mirror after ducking under

a ladder while trying to

avoid a black cat that

was crossing my path,

and simultaneously trying

to avoid a crack to avert

breaking my mother’s back.

 

It was all for the best though,

as I bent down to pick up

the broken mirror shards,

a piano fell from the apartment

windows above me,

the piano crashed to the ground

with a cartoonish musical explosion.

 

I saw a van parked in the street,

reading “Johnson’s Anvil & Piano Movers”,

written on the side.

It was then that I looked up just in

time to see the several Anvils

come dive bombing from the

same window as the piano’s origin.

 

The anvils made a deep metallic

thud and they cracked their way into the

cement sidewalks.

Three anvils dotted the street and

sidewalk like an ellipsis

next to the crumpled piano.

Faintly, above my head I heard,

“Sorrrryyyy…,”.

 

I picked up the rest of the broken

mirror pieces and backed up the

way I came from under the ladder,

I carefully walked around the ladder

and then safely deposited the shards

into a trash can.

 

“Friday the 13th,” I said as I dusted my

hands off with each other.

I heard sirens in the background as I

started to whistle and walk along

the sunny side of the street.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment