Thursday, November 7, 2019

Eating Your Own Face



They stare at me with astonished
horror in their eyes. The rooms
hush and murmur as I enter,
the jukebox skips,
the building shudders.

“Is he eating his own face,” asked
one of the lookie-loos.
“It’s so gnarled and raw,
missing in the wrong places and
too much in the right ones.”

The truck stop eunuch even
stops to stare as I get my mug
of coffee. I fill it to the brim,
drop in a straw and start the long
walk back to my rig.

“Does it even have eyelids,” says
a whisper.
“How does it sleep,” asks another.
“Why are there teeth growing from
it’s nose,” questions a less subtle voice.  

I grip my coffee mug tighter in my
crab claw hand, rushing a bit now
to escape the judgmental stares and
whispered accusations of my mother
spawning with the Devil.

My bravery and confidence I so boldly
approached the doors with, is fading fast
as I hurry through the long truck stop
oasis hallway.  I just want to get out,
back on the verdict less roads.

I get to the glass doors as tears sting
my eye. I catch my reflection in the glass.
There’s nothing wrong with me.
Nothing at all. I’m not all chewed up.
I don’t have a claw hand.

I look back behind me at the
small morning truck stop oasis
crowd, the truck stop eunuch has
his head down. No one is staring,
no one can see.

There are no hushed whispers or
terrified tones. The murmurs are all
corn and coffee rumors.
The TV hums with news of the day,
traffic reports and snow on the way.

I touch my scruffy chin and my reflection
does the same. No new scars, no holes,
no disfiguring marks, no crocodile skin
or teeth out of place.
I think it was all a dream.

I open the door and step outside,
it is cold and I can see my breath,
I shrug my collar up a little higher and
walk toward my rig.
“What’s with the eunuch,” I wonder aloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment