Thursday, December 17, 2020

Hard Times with Words



 

Shaking the dust and cobwebs

from the word box.

There are such multitudes of words to choose

from.

Yet, the only one that seems to shimmer

is, “Irritated”.

 

Irritated? That’s not really the one

I was looking for.

I was hoping for something seasonal,

or jolly.

Something hopeful or joyous, perhaps

even miraculous.

 

But Irritated is what I got. Not really the

word to put on top of the tree.

Not exactly the sort of word we need

right now.

It’s just not the word I was hoping

for.

 

I shook the word box again, hoping

for something better.

I got Irritated again.

I shook it again.

I got Irritated.

I got Irritated.

I got Irritated.

 

Now the word box is in a crumpled

heap on the tile,

and irritation covers the floor.

Amid the curses and swears, and

the angry tearful drops.

 

I’m sweaty and sitting on my haunches,

breathing heavy after kicking and stomping

that blasted word box all to hell. I’m feeling

my heartbeat in my chest and some gnawing

regret in my mind.

 

How irritating.

It’s all so very irritating.  

So silly too. Embarrassing really.

Quite silly in fact. Too silly. Maddeningly

silly.

  

I gather up the busted word box

from the floor.

I put it back on the shelf and leave

the attic.

 

Maybe next year, there

will be less irritation.

Less silliness.

More loving, joyous and

miraculous words.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment