Tuesday, December 29, 2020

The Year that Was, but Wasn't

 


I had to go back and read

what it was I wrote for the

end of 2019, to see how I

should try and wrap up the

year 2020.

 

https://aminutewithmichael.blogspot.com/2019/12/oh-god-another-new-year.html

 

The Pandemic had yet to hit

and the possibilities of 2020 seemed

mildly amusing and at its

cheesiest best.

Kids in school?

Ha!

 

2020 was the year that was,

and wasn’t. The year that

reminded us of what it is like

to lose, and lose badly.

It’s been a while since a lot

of us have had a quality

ass-whoopin’.

 

2020 was there to shove

their disgusting and diseased boot heel

into our faces and say with smiling

contempt, “I rubbed it in dog

shit too!”

Yes, 2020 came to kick humanity’s

collective ass.

 

2020 was the swirly no one expected,

yet should have been easy to avoid.

We had ample time to get out of the way,

yet our incredulous disbelief in our own

fallibility clouded our heads.

 

The tragedies of the last 12 months

have been immense and unwieldy,

like moving an elephant with a shoehorn.

So I make no predictions about 2021,

only that it is the year after.

 

It will arrive regardless of our disposition.

We will have to make the best of it as well as

we can and resist the urge to choke it out

before we have to.

 

So, all in all, the most I can

ask of 2021 is to be peaceful.

Calm, relaxed, measured and

tempered.

 

I can dream of bigger things,

but I think it’s best to keep those

quiet for a while and see how things

go. I’ll look before leaping into 2021.

 

Happy New Year Dear Loyal Readers,

and thank you for all your support this year!


No comments:

Post a Comment