Wednesday, May 5, 2021

I Know What A Rainbow Is

 



I know what a Rainbow is.

Raindrops in the air act as tiny prisms. 

Science has explained it.

I believe in Science.

Therefore, I know what a rainbow is.

 

I’ve seen them throughout my life,

in the sky, doing exactly as science

predicts, refracting light waves at the

correct angle to diffuse the light spectrum

and display the colors of our world.

 

Scientifically, pretty mundane.

Just another thing that happens,

just another part of life on this

planet. Just more of the things that just

“are” as we spin around the Sun.

 

And yet, regardless of the boring

science of refraction and the speed

of light and the spectrum of color,

there is some curious underbelly of

majesty, an aura of mystery and wonder.

 

I can’t help but stop, look and marvel

at this scientifically mundane event and

think to myself (often times out-loud)

“Wow, would you look at that!”

And I am impressed.

 

Impressed with the miracle before

my eyes and recognize,

It’s not just boring science,

it’s undeniably beautiful.

It’s incredible.

 

I’m lucky enough to see such

a thing, I’m present enough to realize

how precious this moment is, to see

the sky emblazoned with all the colors

of the universe.

 

To know that I am not seeing it alone,

I am not there alone.

It is everywhere.

We are everywhere.

And it is magic.

Maybe that’s what a Rainbow really is.


No comments:

Post a Comment