Thursday, May 27, 2021

Timelessness

 


I was thinking about the past

yesterday, un-ironically, and

it occurred to me that while

I tend to spend a great deal

of time thinking about the past,

I am not stuck in it.


I am actually stuck in the

present.

A time travel conundrum of

epic proportions. 

No matter where I go or

what I do, it will always

be the present.


And I’m stuck there.


I can’t travel to the past,

except in memory.

I can’t travel to the future,

except in dreams or wishes.

I am locked into each present

moment without escape. 


I can look forward with desires

or backwards fondly,

but I cannot seem to find a point

of view on the present.

It is always just moments of the

past concurrent with moments

of the present.


Are the words on this page

you’re reading now immediately

the past and the words you’ve yet to read

at the bottom the future?


Is this word the present?


Is it now the past?


In this moment I hear my fingers

clacking on this small keyboard,

I hear the traffic rushing by on the

busy street outside,

I hear birds chirping,

a plane roaring overhead,

all happening, all at once,

now. Then. Before and

after.


No comments:

Post a Comment