Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Old Soapbox


 

This soapbox is flimsy,

the wood is a little weak,

but I shall do my best to

stand on it, even if there

is a little wobble.

 

It’s June and that means

it’s Pride Month, and Juneteenth,

it’s also National Ice Tea Month

for some reason.

Iced Tea is okay, I guess.

 

Each of those June recognition's

seems to involve our attempts

to heal the wounds of our hate filled pasts.

I’m not sure about the Iced Tea thing

but somebody probably hates it.

 

It is important to me,

in these highly electric times,

we focus on the things that make us the same,

rather than the things that appear different,

but I’m ill prepared to do so.

 

On this rickety soapbox,

which I’ve pulled out so many times

to stand on, and shout from and decry the

various injustices I have been forced to

witness from my safe, straight, white, male perspective.

 

It’s easy for me to say and do practically

whatever I want. It’s unlikely this soapbox

will be kicked out from underneath me by anyone,

other than some other straight, white male with

anger and rationality issues. That’s who I’m actually most

worried about being perched up here.

 

It is easy to hate. It takes guts to love.

It is easy to judge people if they are a little

different. It’s difficult to accept them as they are.

I have dealt with these demons in my past, and

learned to overcome. And continue to learn.

 

It is my hope that I can retire this

rickety soapbox someday.

When the world embraces our

similarities rather than superficial

differences.

 

That we can engage each other

with loving civility and compassion

rather than mistrust and ignorance.

But I worry that I’ll be standing

here again soon enough.

 

Trying to balance without breaking through,

the wood and the lies, the rot and the chaos,

the rusty nails and the eroded values of a

equal and just society.

 

I’ll end with someone else’s

words as I try to balance

on this precarious soapbox,

“The price of hating other human beings

 is loving oneself less.” ― Eldridge Cleaver

 


No comments:

Post a Comment