Friday, June 4, 2021

For Pulitzer Consideration

 


Last night before bed,

I scratched out a little

note for myself;

“Remember to write about

that time you didn’t win

the Pulitzer.”

 

I found the note this morning,

I have no idea what it was

about, why I wrote it down,

what the impetus was for

writing it, etc.

It’s a mystery.

 

Is that what I have been doing

for these past ten, nearly 11 years

with this blog? These poems and stories?

Angling for a Pulitzer?

Have I written anything even

Pulitzer worthy?

 

I doubt it considering the thing

I was supposed to write about

was how I didn’t win one.

And I guess I still haven’t…,

unless this poem finally

breaks through that ceiling.

 

Which I doubt.

Because this poem is about nothing and

something that didn’t happen,

and is unlikely to.

Which is most poetry, I think?

Right?

 

Unicorns and buried treasure,

a love life, all fictions, wrapped

in colorful verbiage for mass

consumption.

A whole lot of nothing neatly

displayed and lovingly curated.

 

- For Pulitzer consideration.


No comments:

Post a Comment