Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Clicking

 



I kept hearing clicking as we spoke.

The sound a roller coaster might make

as it climbs higher and higher,

but there’s no drop.

 

We keep talking,

I keep hearing clicking,

and it fills me with a new

excitement.

 

The clicking isn’t annoying,

or frustrating or intimidating,

it’s just there, like the gears of

a grandfather clock masterfully made.

 

A metronome swinging back and forth

with the rhythm of the conversation,

a steady pace, clicking, like parts

fitting together.

 

Click – I like that.

Click – I like that too.

Click – That makes me laugh.

Click – Me too.

 

It was no measure of time,

it wasn’t a beating of hearts,

just a conversation,

clicking.

 

A clicking I liked,

A clicking I hope to hear more.

A clicking that fits effortlessly

into place with the other clicking sounds.

 

Click – I saw that too.

Click – I had a similar adventure.

Click – I see that the same way!

Click – Let’s do this again.

 

A kiss good-night – Click.


No comments:

Post a Comment