Thursday, April 21, 2022

Jarred Expectations

 



The Jar of Expectations,

sits neatly sealed on a

high shelf in the fruit cellar

of an old house at the end

of a desolate dirt road,

defended by brambly

bushes, wild coyotes and

the rumor of a Witch.

 

Expectations, sealed away,

because having them too

close, or even open, is far

too tempting for my fragile

self-esteem to handle,

plus, I seem happier without

that jar, mocking me, making

a fool of me.

 

Wants, expectations, leading

towards disappointment,

should be avoided if possible,

and if that means putting them

in an old mason jar and hiding them

away in a rundown, reclusive,

hidden away farmhouse,

then so be it.

 

Ambition however, that’s an

open can on the counter of

my own home, flowering brightly

with attainable dreams and the

can-do spirit of determination and

realistic possibility.

It was so easy to open too

and not cut myself on the sharp lid.

 

Just a quick spoonful and…

wait a second…

This label… this label is wrong…

This is the wrong container…

This is…?

This is…

Expectations.

Damn generic labels.

 

  


No comments:

Post a Comment