Thursday, June 23, 2022

For The Birds

 


I interrupted their meeting

it would seem,

as I stepped out onto my

back porch to enjoy the Summer

breezes, the congregation

of birds and bugs and squirrel’s,

that had gathered together,

made a hasty break-up of their

crowd.

 

“I’m sorry,” I said as the birds

took to the air, the squirrels,

jumped and bounded across

the chain link fence, and the bugs,

well, the bugs were playing it cool

and just nonchalantly buzzing in

lazy whizzing cyclones.

“Really, my fault,” I apologized, without

letting on about my curiosity.

 

What was this meeting all about?

I wondered.

I took the few porch steps down into

my yard and looked at the ground

where this meeting was being held

but there were no traces of any meeting

notes or half eaten bagels, no cupcakes

or “Happy Birthday Gary” card.

Nothing but dirt.

 

The birds continued their aeronautical

dalliances, as the squirrel’s moved on to

the telephone pole and the wires, swiftly

scurrying out of sight, the bugs…, just didn’t

care and kept swirling like drunks at a

kegger, staggering around,

circling without knowing why,

but instinctively drawn to it.  

Yet, it was all suspicious.

 

The animal meeting remains a mystery to me

as I found no evidence of plots to take over,

no secret portfolios detailing the animal plans

for their solution to the human problem;

they’re tricky, those birds, and squirrels, and

bugs. Scheming and plotting their revenge,

I know it. I’ll keep watching.

Maybe they know.



No comments:

Post a Comment