Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Uncommonly Common

 


Common Sense now seems

wildly uncommon.

And what was common sense

300 years ago, is clearly nonsense

now.

 

We know now that germs

and bacteria cause

disease and illnesses.

Unless you’re some sort of

anti-vaxxer who still thinks

the power of prayer will keep you

safe from the viruses that God created to kill you.  

Then stop reading here. Sheesh.

 

In the past, the idea of bacteria or viruses

would have been treated as complete hogwash.

Our ancestors might have said

fairies and curses from old

Gypsy women caused illness and disease.

Or your blood isn’t the right humor,

and that you needed a bleeding.

 

We go kicking and screaming

into the future, as if being pulled

by our hair, while similarly grasping

onto the antiquated ideas of morality

or medicine, politics or the “American Way”,

with an icy death grip.

 

I admit, I am stubborn to embrace

the “new thing” sometimes.

It scares me every once in a while

to let go of my comfortable

conceptions about the world, people

and places.

 

Yet I believe in common sense,

and common sense is based on what

we should know now, not what we knew

300 or even 40 years ago.

So, if the new common sense is a little

different, so be it.

 

As long as the sense is indeed common,

I suppose.

But then…, I was cursed…,

by a witch.


No comments:

Post a Comment