Friday, June 30, 2023

More Thoughts for Independence Day


 

I do very much enjoy

the illusion of freedom I

have as an American.

It’s marvelous to know

that I am, essentially,

a free person, able to choose

any path I like.

Sort of.

 

Kinda… but it’s good…

 

We are indeed the home

of the brave, land of the free,

like every other Republic or

true Democracy, we’re only

special insomuch that we

believe we’re special,

because we’re pretty special

patriots.

 

Patriots who believe

they are the only patriots

and their patriotism is more

important that your patriotism,

and that you might not be a

real American if you disagree

with their beliefs or that brand of patriotism.

 

Which I suppose you’re free to

do in the United States because we’re

all about Freedom, as long as that

Freedom doesn’t make the other

freedoms uncomfortable, or offend

God, even though we are Constitutionally

a nation wherein Church and State are separate.

 

Just another one of the pluses of being

rebellious colonists, who felt like the wealthy

weren’t getting treated well by other wealthy

men, so they encouraged the poor to take up

arms in order to protect those money making

freedoms.

 

I recognize the bitter tone of this piece,

as it is my right to be so as an American, I suppose.

My hopeful optimistic myopic view of

The United States has grown from 8th Grade Civics,

to a more fully developed understanding of how

we got here and a critical concern

for where we are headed.  

 

The divisions in The United States,

do have me worried.

Neither side of the political system

is 100% right all the time,

there has to be room for compromise,

otherwise this Freedom we

hold so dearly, is in jeopardy.

 

So yeah, We’re Free.

We’re Independent.

We’re rugged individualists.

Kinda…, sorta.

I guess.

 

Happy Independence Day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment