Monday, May 14, 2018

Running Out of Steam



The giant paddle wheels
turned through the muddy
waters of the Mississippi as
dragonflies zipped through
the humid air.

In the thick forests along the
watery banks, cicada’s buzzed
in their urgency to mate, as soon
as possible, before they have to
die.

The steam stacks, billowing out
clouds of heavy vapor, adding to the
already thick mid-afternoon air,
that was already bulging with rain
on the horizon.

No. Wait…, that’s not a riverboat,
There’s no muddy Mississippi,
that’s just here, in my office, while
I try to keep my steam going to
complete these Monday tasks.

You see, I’m running out of steam
to keep up any enthusiasm for these
mundane Monday chores we’re all
saddled with after such a long and
pleasant weekend.

That ringing isn’t a steamboat whistle,
it’s my office phone, burdening me with the
ills and distemper of the other Earthly
passengers. All needy and corrupted by
false privilege.    

Yet the Walter Mitty of my mind still
dreams of Steamboat adventures,
and the “Tah-pucketah-pucketah-tah pucketah”,
of the steam engines, turning the paddle wheels
through the waters of the muddy Mississippi.  

No comments:

Post a Comment