Monday, June 29, 2020

Sitting by the Sea



“So, what is it,” she asked.

“I’m really not sure,” I said, “it’s
blue and black and red and gold,
with lightning bolts and squirrely
looking swirls scattered all about it.”

“Is it alive,” she asked.

“I honestly don’t know,” I said, “it
barked a little while ago, but there’s
no mouth that I can see, no nose or
holes for it to breathe.”

“Should I kick it,” she asked.

“No,” I said, “I think that might be
cruel, besides it might be magic
or grant wishes or be from another
world or even another Dimension.”

“Can I touch it,” she asked.

“I am not sure about that wisdom,” I said,
“it might be something bad still, we just
don’t quite know yet. I think we should
probably call someone.”

“Who can we call,” she asked.

“Maybe a scientist,” I said, “maybe
a priest, maybe a doctor or cop,
maybe someone with a college
degree in animal husbandry.”

“I’m going to poke it with this stick,” she said.

“Be careful,” I said, “you know what happens
to the pokers in the movies. They always lose a
hand or face, or get some space disease that
turns them into flesh eating monsters.”

“I’m not going to poke it then,” she said.

“Well I’m not going to either,” I said.

We sat on our haunches, in the beach sand,
staring at the unknown creature, our brows
furrowed in contemplation,
as the sea slowly lapped the
shore, lazily tickling our toes
and childish curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment