Wednesday, August 18, 2021

No, Is What I Said

 


No, is what I said.

No, not right now.

No, I’m not interested.

No, I don’t like that.

No, just… No.

 

No, is a tough word to hear,

for most people.

They take it personally when told, “No”.

People would rather say anything else

than say the word, “No.”

 

No. It works for me.

Do you want this Pill? No.

Do you want to go swimming? No.

Do you want me to make you lunch? No.

Well, what are you making? Ick, No.

 

I’m okay with hearing no too.

Do you love me? No? Okay.

Do you want to hear this haiku? No? Okay.

Do you want peppers on your sandwich? No? Okay.

Do you ever see yourself being in love with me? No? Okay.

 

No is just alright.

It’s clear. It’s unambiguous.

It is direct and commonly appropriate.

No is reliable.

No is real.

 

No doesn’t coddle you

or fill you with false anticipation.

It’s done with you in two letters,

N-O.

That’s it.

 

Until the right Yes person comes along.

The Yes person to take those specific and

concrete No’s and turn them into sweet

honey that tingles the tongue into

blissful acquiescence.

 

All my No’s are really just waiting,

for the right person who’ll turn all

my No’s into Yes’s.

A Yes man.

For a Yes woman.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment