Thursday, May 2, 2019

Annoyingly Necessary




The most extremely complicated
simplest thing ever cooked up in
the human mind must be love.
It’s entirely irrational and annoyingly
necessary.

I have been looking for that sort of
relationship love for what seems like
an inordinate amount of time now and
it is really starting to get to me in ways
I didn’t know it could.

I get jealous of couples, even unhappy
couples, who seem to have found each
other through the barriers and obstacles
life gleefully dumps into our paths, it’s
maddening to be on the outside of that.

I have been writing about romantic love,
partnership love, love-love and all other
kinds of love for an excruciating long
time and it amazes me that I still haven’t
met someone who inspires my heart.

I’ve been told my expectations are too high,
that I’m a romantic and real life is just about
getting along, settling and just doing what you
got to do to live. Happiness is an illusion sold
by Hollywood and life really is boredom mixed with pain.   

Life is indeed boring without getting
outside oneself and into the mind of another
person, someone who so completely cares about
you, almost as much as they do about themselves,
and you, reflect that admiration unequivocally.

Who does that? Is that really a thing?
Am I fooling myself with my fantasies of love,
of children, of a life broader than where it’s been,
is that sort of uncompromising and genuine love
real? Is it just a myth?

Maybe I just don’t know what it is
that I’m supposed to be trying to find.
Perhaps I’m putting too much
pressure on myself to find that
right sort of person who compliments me
as much as I compliment them,
perhaps I’ll just keep writing this
long sentence until she does come
along and taps me on the shoulder,
asks me if I’m okay and looks at me
with gentle open eyes and I stammer,
probably say something completely stupid
and out of context and maybe she’ll
laugh and the next thing you know she’ll
be reading this poem and kindly laughing at
me for being so foolish, she’ll lean over and kiss
my cheek and go back to being someone
amazing.

Yeah, it is complicated and amazing
and I want it. In the most annoying way.





No comments:

Post a Comment