Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Return

Several thoughts included.

There’s nothing like coming back to work after a three day weekend and discovering that you now need a Sherpa to get into your cubical. I figured I’d set up a base camp and then attack the summit tomorrow. Illukiwit, my Sherpa guide thinks that’s foolish and we should press on all day. I’ve fired Illukiwit by pushing him off the mountain of paperwork. As far as I understand, Sherpas always land on their feet (obliterating the bones in their legs.)

It’s also fun to get to your voicemails. I’m very clear on my outgoing message that I won’t be in the office for a day, but that doesn’t stop people leaving me the “Call me back immediately”, messages. I just wish people would listen and relax. I’ll get back to you eventually. I’m pretty good about returning phone calls, even if I have nothing to say. I’ll call you back and just breathe at you.

Secondly, I must discuss Tailgaters. There is something very sad about those pushy S.O.B.’s. I just don’t understand where they want me to go. I can only drive as fast as the car in front of me and if he’s hitting his brakes then there is just nothing I can do. So I will give you dirty looks in the mirror and try to threaten you with my frowning eyebrows.  Just take it easy man, we all want to get somewhere and if we work together, we’ll all make it.

These are the same people that honk at you in the drive-thru. All you want is a few more napkins and extra sauce so you kindly ask the fast food jockey, but the jerk behind you thinks this is an outrage and starts pounding on the horn. My goodness, what gave your stomach priority over everyone else’s?

Thirdly, there’s relationship stuff. I’ve heard a lot of people talking about their relationships this weekend. It makes me miss my old relationship a bit. I learned so much about myself and how to express myself from my ex and I owe her a debt. (Of course she’ll never speak to me again because she has to move on with her life and she rightly should.) But I really appreciate everything she showed me and I’ve glad to have some perspective on it.

No matter how much perspective I have however, all I can say is that every relationship is unique and they will either work out or not.  It’s just having the courage to know the difference and make that hard choice. Sometimes pride gets in the way and we can’t let a bad thing go. We’ve worked so hard at it and to give up now seems like a waste. But it isn’t, we come away having learned something and are better prepared the next time something wonderful comes along. (Unless you’re me.)

Fourth, this is a short work week for most of us and I’m sure there’s an incredible amount of anticipation for the break. I know I’m excited to get down with Thanksgiving. Perhaps I’ll have more on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment