Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Empty page muse

It’s been a struggle to come up with a topic this morning. I’ve wavered between a Samurai story or maybe something about the legal system in light of recent rulings, but none of those words seemed to be sticking to the page.  They just didn’t seem to carry the proper weight or depth to hang correctly on this blank sheet.

In fact, I’m still having trouble getting these blasted words to stick to anything. Each new thought is quickly written, measured and erased as I can’t seem to put my finger on anything of consequence today. Maybe I’m just too busy. My phone has been ringing off the hook this morning.

Even good old CNN has let me down as I can usually find some headline that incites my fingers to fly across the keys, but not today. I can’t bring myself to care about the Casey Anthony verdict or the ongoing government hoopla. I’d rather have a nice cool beverage and relax at a bar. Maybe step outside for a cigarette and chat it up with the other local bar patrons.

I’m not in it today. My participation is purely rote and weak. It’s merely muscle memory that drives me into my cubicle today. It’s just the same answers to the same questions. So originality and creativity have taken a back seat to the doldrums today.

Perhaps there will be more to write about tomorrow; more outrages or hilarity to pique my interest. I’m not pursuing excellence today, just a little, “meh”, and a shrug.

I think I need a muse. Any volunteers?

No comments:

Post a Comment