Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Boing, boing, boing…


It is indeed the first day of spring and all should rejoice that this terrible winter has finally passed. If you live in Chicago like me you might be wondering, “What winter?”
This was one of the mildest winters I can remember. There were very few extremely cold days and I don’t think we got much more than a few inches of snow in the city. I don’t know about how the suburbs faired, I don’t live there.  I wore my scarf once this winter. Once. I can’t recall that last time I could go a whole winter wearing my scarf one single time. It’s amazing.

So now winter has limped through its paces and faded into memory we can now start to enjoy this wonderful spring weather placed at our feet. The race is just starting but I have a feeling it’s going to be a pretty nice one. I’m a fan of spring. I’m the guy up in the stands holding the giant, “SPRING RULES!!!” sign.  Spring is just right for me. I’d like to live in a perpetual spring if I could.

At this point you’d expect me to start writing about how in the spring, a young man’s fancy turns to love. Well, I’m not a young man so much anymore so you can just forget it. Spring allows me the luxury of now being a grump outside instead of trapped indoors. Although I’m not all that grumpy lately in the relationship arena since I started seeing a lovely young lady who thinks I’m cool, or at least less of a dork than other guys she’s dated.

I somehow worry that my credibility as a morbidly sad, continually single writer is somewhat diminished once I start dating. It’s as if I have nothing to complain about and I have a feeling of satisfaction. Then there’s the pressure of all the other single mopes out there thinking, “Aw man, my hero got a lady friend. I don’t believe in nothing no more”.  Which would lead me to respond, “hero?”

I must say though she’s a very nice girl and I’m happy to be seeing her. Now you might wonder why I’m using the term “seeing her”. Well, it’s because I’m cautious. I’ve dated and I’ve been with women, all of them extremely lovely in their own way, but that one thing; a spark, if you will, wasn’t there. In this current instance I’m very interested, but wary of the fragility of hearts and I don’t want to do anything to ruffle any feathers. So I’m taking it slow to see where it may lead.

Maybe when summer arrives and I’m complaining about the heat I’ll have something different to say about my relationship status, maybe I won’t. I don’t pretend to know the future or how I’ll feel 30 minutes from now. I just try to enjoy the journey from one season to the next.  

Go Spring!

1 comment:

  1. Hooray and good for you.
    Hope she sees all that is good in you.
    DOn't forget to open doors and bring flowers for no reason.

    ReplyDelete