Tuesday, April 3, 2012

It burns me


Bureaucracy without common sense really bothers me. I’m against any red tape that requires any reasonable idea to be raped against the rocks of duplication or repetition just for the sake of rape. It just doesn’t make any sense to me. In my business there is such an occurrence that drives me wild with rage and frustration.

It’s like asking for a piece of cake at a birthday party and being told, there’s three slices of cake available for you to eat. So you talk to your friends about the cake and you all agree that having one piece is good enough so you go back to the party table with your plate and fork to get that piece. Once you get to the dessert table and hold your plate out you’re told that you have to go to the back of the line so the piece you requested can be verified. You say, “But I already verified there were three pieces”, but the servers stare at you like you’re the idiot. The bakers then all gather together and discuss if they are comfortable with giving one the three pieces to you to satisfy your dessert craving. After a long conversation they give you the piece but ask that in the future you submit your cake request at least 21 days in advance, even though they already told you cake was available.

So the cake is available, but you can’t eat it, until it’s authorized to eat, even though we told you it was available. It is madness and a complete failure of common sense in business. I’m a fan of streamlining most processes. Why ask three people for something when there’s really only one person that has the actual say on what goes on? Why not just ask the one frigging guy?

I understand the importance of a chain of command in most things; usually it can make sense, but when that chain becomes cumbersome and obsolete why keep using it. It’s antiquated and obtuse. It makes me very upset and makes me want to drink at work.

In fact, it makes me not want to come to work at all. If I can’t use my brain and all the experience I’ve cultivated to make informed decisions, why am I working? Why am I a valuable part of the team? Oh, I’m not. I’m a faceless drone that just happens to function within the operating budget of the company.

I’ve always been somewhat of a malcontent when it comes to foolish time wasters. It’s always been my opinion that every process should be streamlined and updated for maximum efficiency. If there’s too many cooks in the kitchen or too many kids in the tub all spouting there varied and well paid theories about what could or should be done regardless of what I’ve recommended makes for a pretty lousy work day.

It’s why I hate most of what I do on a daily basis and why I can’t wait for something different. Okay, I think I’ve got that out of my system. I’ll get back to writing about a world where cows are the dominant species on Earth and how they are dealing with the impending doom of the Moo-yan Calendar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment