Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Now that’s fame.

When I heard on the radio this morning of Elizabeth Taylor’s passing I felt a pang of sadness in my stomach. I knew this day would come of course. The old Hollywood is slowly fading away.  I then thought how appropriate it was that I heard about it on the radio rather than all the splashy coverage it’ll get on TV. I’m sure for the next few days every entertainment TV show will start running their tributes, honorariums and scandal sheets, complete with flashy titles and graphics. I would rather just a quick word in the paper and that’s it. I don’t know if days and days of coverage is appropriate, considering the headlines in the rest of the world. I’m sure Libya won’t stop for a moment of silence. Although she was pretty amazing, who knows?

I am awed at her fame. Her last role was doing voiceover work for a failed Fox TV cartoon, “God, The Devil and Bob” in 2001. Yet she’s quite possibly one of the most famous women on the planet. She also spoke Maggie Simpson’s first word in 1992.  Her last film role, according to IMBD, was Pearl Slaghoople in 1994’s The Flintstones. She made a TV movie, “These Old Broads” in 2001; which was her last TV performance.  However her body of work and talent is incredible and indelible.

I first became aware of Elizabeth Taylor thanks to Family Classics on WGN. They were showing “National Velvet” and I watched it. I’m pretty sure I had a crush on her in that. Of course I wasn’t aware that the movie was made in 1944. But I’m pretty sure it set me on a particular course regarding my attraction to certain kinds of women.  I think I next saw her in “Giant” and I must say that film is still up there with my top ten.  I fell in love with her all over again in “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof”, sultry and steamy and wearing a nightie  through most of the movie. Certainly set part of my standards I’m sure.

Ms. Taylor had been a Hollywood fixture for seven decades, starting in the 1940’s till the present. I can only hope for a small part of that kind of fame. I guess I’ll have to marry well and not get divorced so often.  I also doubt my own line of fragrances would be so popular, “White Guy”, just doesn’t seem like it’d be a hot seller.

I certainly wish old Hollywood wasn’t dying off and it’s only going to get worse as the years roll by. But there’s very little we can do about it except sit back, cozy up with Robert Osborn on TCM and get reacquainted with all the movie stars of a rapidly disappearing era.

So long Ms. Taylor, say hi to Richard for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment