Monday, May 23, 2011

Groovy? Shut-up.

CNN is a wealth of information. I give you, 'You Light Up My Life' composer kills self, police say. I’m sure we all remember that slightly sad, slightly hokey love song from 1977.   Joseph Brooks was 73 years old when he claimed his own life this past Sunday. Unfortunately it doesn’t appear there was too much light in his life. He was facing charges on 11 alleged rapes and sexual assaults.

It also appears that his son was charged with the murder of his own ex-girlfriend in January of this year. So I guess I can skip the horrible jokes that are rolling around in my head. That would just be bad taste. Debby Boone recorded “You Light Up My Life” for a movie and the song won Joseph Brooks an Oscar, a Golden Globe and a Grammy. 

I’m not sure about anyone else but it always seems to me that those people that achieved some level of stardom in the 1970’s always seem to end up in pretty dire straits. Jeff Conaway of “Taxi” and “Grease” hasn’t been doing well for quite a long time and is now in a coma due to pneumonia and a blood infection. The original reports of an OD may not have been accurate. But still, he’s had a really rough go of it. 

A part of me almost pities the 1970’s. I’m sure the decade has its defenders and having only been alive and somewhat aware for half of them I’m sure I’m not the best to characterize them appropriately. But I can comment on what I have seen and that’s, what the hell were you people thinking? I cringe every time I see something from the Seventies. I blame the hippies of the 1960’s that screwed the Seventies up so badly. Free love and dope turned into a house in the suburbs, white flight and BMW’s in the driveway. It became a polyester nightmare imagination of what the 1950’s had been, but would never be again. I’m also a little ashamed of the early 80’s. I hated corduroy pants.

Heck, sometimes I am ashamed of the present day. But I’m Irish and feel shame about most things as a rule. “I shouldn’t have enjoyed that so much”, is a common Irish sentiment. But I can honestly say that I am glad I wasn’t fully aware of the full groovyiness of the 1970’s. I was able to come to maturity in the far more rational 1990’s. Wait, I almost forgot about the Seventies resurgence of the 1990’s. Yeah, that was dumb. I am glad; however, it brought the sundress back for ladies. God bless the sun dress.

The 90’s had their obvious flaws as well and I’m sure any children I have will look back at them and cringe. “How did you survive without a cell phone, iPad, iPod, iBrain?” I guess I’ll have to then tell them all about the rotary phone and three channel TV.
I suppose I will also have to try and explain why so many of the late Seventies celebrities ended up so badly, of course, I really have no idea why that is. Maybe it was the big bow ties or all the tight pants or maybe all the drugs and long hair. (Looking at you Crystal Gale)

Ultimately, there is no way to explain certain parts of history. Things just happen I suppose, I’m just glad they haven’t happened to me while wearing brown corduroy bell bottom pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment