Monday, May 7, 2012

In tune


I have always really liked The Beatles. Even though I didn’t grow up in the true Beatle era I’ve always really enjoyed them. Recently my local watering hole jukebox was updated with nearly the entire Beatles collection of music and I almost never miss a chance to play something by them. Each and every song has a memory for me and there’s something about the power of music I understand when I listen to it.

I’m most often reminded of the first girl I was ever really in love with. We’d sit in her back yard on summer high school nights with her giant CD player/radio and listen to the Beatles all night while we smoked cigarettes and wondered what the future would bring. It was a wonderful time. I’ve really only barely known that kind of peacefulness.

I find it amazing how much of the Beatles music has been somewhere in the background of my life. I’m amazed how often a song comes into my head on a random day. I don’t want anyone to talk during it. It’s sort of like church or something for me. A sacred moment to be cherished for the few minutes it’s playing. Then life can get back to normal.

I like a lot of music to be sure. There’s a lot of music that moves me and I often times find myself starving for music. So when I hear the Beatles or another band I have a deep affinity for, I feel somewhat sated.

I’m not sure how to put it, but it feels like a warm and welcomed embrace from a lover or a long absent friend. The music starts low in your stomach and rises up through your body and the next thing you know you’re nearly yelling, “Hey Jude”, with happy tears in your eyes.

Not everyone is a Beatles fan and that’s okay. They have a large collection of music and it doesn’t fit everyone’s taste and that’s okay with me. (It just means they have no taste).

Much like Maxwell Silverhammer, I have to get to work. I was off last Friday so Monday has attacked me like a lion strapped to a shark strapped to a Tyrannosaurs. 

“Don’t let me down… do be do-bee-dee”. 

2 comments:

  1. Adding music to our list of topics for the face to face.
    It's like you're in my brain sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s.
    Weird - I posted a Beatles related video on my blog BEFORE I read this.
    weeeeiiiirrrrdddd

    ReplyDelete