Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Swing of it


After a long introspective Memorial Day weekend it’s quite difficult to get back into the swing of the day to day. I struggled more than usual to drag myself from the cool comfort of my bed after a long night of fitful and restless sleep. I woke up once and looked at the clock and it read 5:55. I thought that was odd. I couldn’t remember one time in my life where I woke up at 5:55 exactly.

I was sort of glad I did wake up then though. It got me out of a very strange dream in which one of my ex-girlfriends was greeting folks who were honoring her for her recent engagement to a monster. She didn’t recognize me right away and I had to take my glasses off for her to remember me and then dismiss me. It was a very emotionally charged dream and 5:55 seemed to rescue me from it.

I like the whole 5:55 idea. I imagined vampires just getting back to their coffins, or werewolves just winding down their night of terrorizing villagers, or that tentacled thing under your bed needing to get back to its Midnight Zone.  As if it was some sort of magic time that all the evil horrors of the world are forced to recede into the shadowy underworld.   

Today is in full swing though. I’m sipping my coffee and have been trying not to think about those other worldly monsters lurking in the corners, waiting for nightfall. I’ve got a lot of work to do and chores to take care of after work. There’s just too much to do and not enough time to do it all. There’s a weight over me, a Sword of Damocles dangling just over my exposed head just waiting to come loose and render me not.

I suppose there’s one hanging over everyone’s head, some of us are just more aware of it than others.  Some of us just get into the swing of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment