Thursday, February 17, 2011

It’s melty out and in

It’s very hard not to catch the spring fever that’s slowly working its way through our heads. Today has the potential to reach 60 degrees and that should pretty much remove any remaining snow from the 2011 blizzard. I find it pretty amazing that we could have a blizzard at the beginning of February and a heat wave at the end of it. Weather is amazing. Dare I say Neat-oh, even.

I am reminded of that old quote; “In the Spring a livelier iris changes on the burnish'd dove; In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love". - Alfred Lord Tennyson.  Love and spring do seem to go hand in hand. Although almost every long term relationship I’ve ever been in either started in late summer or wintertime. But I’d sure appreciate a springtime romance. I think it’d be neat to start a relationship just as the world was starting a new warmer phase.

I was thinking about relationships on my car ride into work this morning. There was nothing specific that really sparked my thinking on this, perhaps it was merely the presence of a warmer frame of nature. I was thinking about my warming heart and its willingness to escape the long winter hibernation it’s been in. I’ve not looked for love or even a relationship with any real enthusiasm in a very long time and now I find myself quite ready to start again.

Mind you, the cold emotional devastations of the past are never far from my mind and some things are a constant reminder of that love lost but it’s time to put those things into perspective and step out in the warm spring sun. I hope I find someone who’s also on that journey and we find each other at just the right time and everything falls into place, whatever that place may be.  I don’t like to have too many expectations on a relationship. (Other than she wants to spend time with me)

So I’m looking forward to this spring and I really hope something blooms for me. I know that spring is still a little more than a month away but I can’t help the excitement slowly rising in my heart. I also wonder if there's some girl out there feeling the same thing and she'll read this little article and be like, "Oh yes! Someone gets it", and we meet and fall into each other's arms and live happily ever after. Sigh.

Hm, I'm wondering if this melting around my heart is starting to get a little too mushy. Ahem, I’m also looking forward to dismissing baseball as a fool's folly.  Dang baseball. There's a broken heart story for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment