Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Designed to fail

I was riding the train into work this morning and I noticed the simple directions on the emergency exit window.  Basically they state to “Grab Bar – Lift up. Pull down window. Exit”. I’m actually surprised you don’t push the window out because in the case of an accident there might be a problem opening the window in. Nevertheless, I thought about how many things in this world and how much we experience has failure integrated into its design.

The majority of businesses we enter have doors that can be pushed outward in case of an emergency; planes have emergency escapes, fire escapes, bumpers, sprinklers, padded seats, parachutes, flotation devices, cardboard sleeves around coffee cups, just about everything has considered failure as an option and designs were made for it to fail effectively. Mind you they were not made for perfect operation, but with failure as a real option.

Like my love life; now there’s something designed for failure. Unfortunately and through no fault of her own; my tepid wedding date is now unable to join me for this upcoming nuptial celebration. So now I must begin the quest again for a suitable wedding date. Sigh. Where’s my escape valve? Time is starting to run a little short as well.

What I can’t figure out from an engineering perspective is how my dating system seems to fail? I’m a very nice guy. I’m hilarious. I’m hardly gruesome. I’m a sensitive lover. I am interested in the things a significant other is. I listen. I’m kind. I’m attentive. I’m emotionally available. I work. I have my own place. By all those things I should be rolling in available and attractive mates. But there’s a monkey wrench in there somewhere gumming up the works causing a misfire. Now I know I don’t really cruise the meat market bars, but I am on-line with two dating sites and I make myself available for any interaction that might avail itself at any of the places I do frequent. So where’s the design flaw?

So as the old adage goes, back to the drawing board. And I’m now re-accepting any volunteers (now's your chance) for a wedding adventure as well as moving on to asking the next on the list of potential mechanics. Not that I need them to fix this broken machine, but I apparently need a tune up.

No comments:

Post a Comment