Monday, April 11, 2011

This way to the Great Egress

Today marks the last Monday I will be spending in Deerfield. It’s pretty exciting to know that soon I won’t have to deal with traffic on the Eden’s or Lake Cook Road. In four short days I’ll be free of the particularly numbing experience of working for a particular client.  In all, I’m very excited.

Last night I could hardly sleep because of how excited I was getting. I know that just being back in downtown Chicago will make me feel so much better, plus the incredibly short commute will be pretty awesome too. I think it’ll be something like 12 minutes. You really can’t beat that; unless you had a jet pack or personal flying car thing.

It’s not like I can slack off here at my last week, the work never ends and there’s still a lot to do before I take my leave. So I’ll be doing everything I can to make it easy for whoever takes over for me. I’d hate to leave anyone in a rut. That’s just un-American. (Or at least it used to be)

Speaking of wonderfully American things, my neighbor and I had had a wonderfully relaxing early Sunday evening sitting on our collective back porch. She was kind enough to grill up some burgers and hot dogs and we sat out there eating and talking and just enjoying the nice weather. It was one of the most relaxing Sunday’s I’ve had in a while. I’m really appreciative of that. Living in an apartment building, you quickly miss having a yard to sit in or a stoop to talk to your neighbors on. Just the act of sitting outside with my neighbor was truly the definition of pleasant. 

But back to my original point, I’m hardly able to sit here at my desk without daydreaming about being downtown again. I hope I remember how to do that fast walk everybody does down there. I’m sure I’ll have to get my city legs back again. My sexy city legs.

So the countdown has begun. I should put one of those old countdown clocks somewhere. No, that would make me nervous. I’d just sit there staring at it, talking out loud, “5 days, 120 hours, some number of minutes and seconds”.  I still have some work to do that I have to focus on. If I can. Maybe I’ll go look out the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment